Friday, November 9, 2007

Music

Music can do many things. (and it does not have to be loud)

It can lift your emotions or bring them down.
It can inspire.
It can transport you back in time.
It can affect the intensity of a workout.
A few of my favorite songs are.

“Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield
“Driven” by Incubus
“Brand New Day” by Sting
“Dreams I’ll Never See” by Molly Hatchet
“I’ve Got the Music in Me” by Kiki Dee

These songs talk about beginning each day fresh, taking personal responsibility, and not letting the world control your dreams. I find them uplifting.

Music is something I enjoy when exercising. But you have to be responsible.

Recently on Rae’s blog I was taken to task by mgreene.
I had mentioned that during the 06’ Dam to Dam race I felt not having my Ipod was a mistake.
My reason, I missed that musical lift.

His response caught me a bit off guard but he made some valid points.
He feels that the use of such devices is dangerous. Dangerous enough he points out that the USATF has banned their use in races it sanctions. He attached this link.
http://www.rrm.com/Newsarchives/archive07/07naparule.htm

This is important news and something to strongly be considered.

I do continue to use my Ipod for training. However, I have taken the volume down further, much further in fact. I know now that training without an Ipod from time to time, should be part of my routine in future months as I prepare for the 08’ Dam to Dam in Des Moines.

Frankly I am glad that mgreene responded the way he did. And if mgreene happens to find this post let me say “thank you”

I want to be safe out there on the roads and trails. And I want all of you to be safe as well. Make sure you can hear your surroundings. Don’t drown them out. There is a creek I go by nearly every night. I never used to hear it. Now it has become a welcome sign about 2 miles out.

Breakfast: 5 pts. Raisin Bran w/skim milk

Lunch: 6 pts. Smart Ones Spaghetti in meat sauce.

Dinner: 8 pts. Grilled chicken sandwich, side of carrots.

Snack: 6 pts. 1 serving Tostitos with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and salsa verde

Exercise: None Rest Day.

So how’s your day going and what songs move you…

1 comment:

Rae! said...

Yeah and during the new York marathon they had a section on the today show about the use of headphones and they said that they are not going to hire a crew of people to police the runners cause the runs are not suppose to be a negitive experence. The tjust want runners to be aware of others.

And thanks!!