Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sidewalks, Unleashed Dogs, and a Duck



Mongello!!! Team Voice! I hope you are all having a great weekend.

I managed to check in on our pal Donald tonight. He's still out there cheering us on and he is excited about all the progress so many of us have made this past month.

My evening jog started out on the right note tonight. After my half mile warm up I managed to fall into a comfortable pace right away, and I held it through out the whole run. This past winter was hard on the sidewalks around town. Many of them have heaved upwards in spots. Tonight at about mile 4 my foot caught the edge of one. I stumbled a bit and thankfully did not fall. Mentally I had to tell myself to keep moving forward and not sweat it. Sometimes things like this throw me off and it takes a bit to recover, but not tonight. At about mile 5 there was a guy in his front yard with two dogs. Of course neither was tied up and a short chase insued. Fortunally the dogs went back to their owner we he called out to them.

Earlier in the day I had driven off a section of town to see how much distance I could add to my long jog if I decided to use the route. It was right at a mile. Most of the day I had been visualizing running along that road. So when the moment came I made a choice and committed to it. When I finally came around the corner near my house I was at 11.6 miles. "That's close to the 12.4 of a 20K" I thought. "Let's keep going." As I neared that 12th mile I realized I was approaching a landmark that was 1 mile from my home if I ran it a certain way. So as I circled back toward home tonight I found Donald waiting for me. 13.16 Miles 2hr 15mn.

I feel tired but pretty good. I expect I may be a bit sore tomorrow...

Update Sunday Morning:
Oh boy, did I really sleep 10 hours? Yes I did, and yes I am a bit sore. But its a good kinda sore. (Is there really is such a thing?) Of course there is.

4 comments:

[rich] said...

Well done dude! Sweet miles. I know what you mean when you tweak your ankles...not good.

Rae! said...

WOW!!!
Great job on the miles. and the time. I did 10.2 in 2:44.My first real long mileage.
I just haven't made it to Donald's yet. I will.
I hope you had a nice weekend.

DebWDW said...

Congrats!! You're eight months ahead of schedule!!

Heath said...

Dude, that's awesome!! Nice run!!