Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Busted by my hair stylist.


Happy April everyone! Tonight I got a hair cut. Nicole, who has been cutting my hair for a while now, remembered that I am training for Dam to Dam and the Disney 1/2 marathon. She also remembered one other thing from an earlier visit. She asked me if I had done any runs without my ipod and headphones. I had to tell her that no, I had not, though I plan to before DAM to DAM.

Last month, I had discussed with her about how many races are forbiding the use of such devices for safety reasons. Dam to Dam has banned them, but you won't find that on the web page. I actually sent in an e-mail and asked about it. I was not planning on using them but I wanted the official word.

This coming weekend I plan on meeting up with Larry from work. He and I ran Dam '06 together. We are going to do a run together on Saturday and I am not bringing the ipod.

Last night I did make it to SNAP. Got an hour of various weight lifting and such in.

Tonight was an outdoor jog that went ok. I encountered some discomfort in my left knee a couple times and had to interupt my jog to walk it off. It was a bummer to slow down and walk, but it bothered me enough that I had to listen to it. Perhaps with having done my long jog on Sunday instead of Saturday I should have taken it a little slower. Another recovery day would have been nice.

4 comments:

Craig Wheeler said...

Kristin was surprised when I told her that Disney's does not allow headphones on the course. I don't think she has run without them in years. I was running without them last summer, but have only run with them since we started running again this year. She listens to music to keep her going. I tend to listen to podcasts, because I tend to run with the beat if I listen to music...and that isn't always a good thing.

mgreene said...

No headphones in RRCA sanctioned races

Our local club has now come out with the policy that headphone wearers will be disqualified, their times not scored or posted, and users not allowed to run in the race next year. Draconian, yes, but it is an insurance requirement and the officers of the club do not want to be held responsible for any accidents.

Heath said...

Craig makes a good point. I have found that listening to music causes me to start at a faster pace than I should. It's podcasts for me or nothing at all when I'm running outside. And running w/a partner definately makes a difference. I think it would be a little rude to keep your headphones on while running w/someone. Anway, good luck running w/o them, let us know how you make out.

Rae! said...

I did the Tower of Terror 13k last year. You will not need the headphones. There is so much going on you will not have time to listen to them. I am slower and I started in the back and people sometimes do not look out for you, you have to look out for them.
I have done a 5k without the headphones, and you really do not need them. To much going on, you get caught up in the atmosphere, and all.
They have talked about this on some of the shows, before some major races, like Boston.They said they do not want you to wear them but they are not going to hire a entire crew to play headphone police.
I use mine in the gym where they play terrible music, and out side here in the neighborhood, and I only wear one.I keep it at a level so I can hear what is going on around me. Nut I will not wear them in a race.
Then you can't hear the kids in band outside playing for the runner's in the half at Disney. Yes high school and Middle school bands playing for the runners. It was so cool!!!