Monday, June 16, 2008

A Morning With Mancini



So this morning it was my turn to be a kid again. Oddly enough it had nothing to do with Disney. I made it out the door early this morning for another AM run. I was not sure what to expect regarding today's outing, being that it's been 6 days since I jogged last. But it went well. Henry Mancini was one reason for that.

Your thinking what? Yes you read correctly. Henri Mancini came across my shuffle selections today. Man that took me back to being a kid and how I used to enjoy listening to my parents record albums. They owned three Mancini soundtrack albums. The Pink Panther, Breakfast At Tiffany's, and Hatari!



This was my first introduction to the world of soundtrack albums. Even though I had not seen the movies. The music allowed my imagination to run wild. To this day I still enjoy soundtrack albums. My all time favorite is the original Star Wars V soundtrack. Now in that case I had seen the movie and I could visualize every scene.
Too cool.

Anyway for a brief amount of time today I was transported back to my childhood bedroom and my old radio shack combination turntable and 8-track player. Back to the posters of The Fonz, Kiss, and Loni Anderson. Back to the day when I still had a Mickey Mouse coin bank on my dresser. (I guess Disney did come into it after all.)

3 comments:

Doc Terminus said...

brilliant... As a film nut and movie music freak, you hit a vein with Mancini... To keep it Disney, Henry did the score for THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE and its a great piece...

I've been kicking around a new place to visit in Passamaquoddy devoted to Disney composers...

That is if this kidnapping is resolved and I'm not associated with the dark side...

Off to listen to BABY ELEPHANT WALK

Rae! said...

Nice My Mom use to play his pieces.

Craig Wheeler said...

Mancini is great. He is one of those guys that everybody knows one of his songs....whether they realize it or not.