Monday, May 19, 2008

A Visit To Mathmagic Land



Oh hello there. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Professor Ludwig Von Drake. I have given Jeff the day off, because I wanted to chat with you about something you might find interesting. This post is dedicated to Jonathan Dichter and the amazing weight loss he has achieved over the past year. Have you ever thought about how weight loss can help your joints? Let's talk about heel strike.



Heel strike is when the foot makes contact with the running surface. Your body weight effects that. Forces of 2 to 3 times you body weight will impact your joints with every footfall. So lets split the difference and have some fun with math shall we? Here are our friends Jeff, Jonathan, and Bryan.



We know that Jonathan and Jeff have been posting their weight. Bryan whose weight we do not know, is also a Gazelle. (I personally think he could out run Mufasa) Therefore we will leave him out of our little equation.

Jonathan started his weight loss efforts at 370 lbs. If we assume 2.5 lbs of force times his starting weight we have an impact to his joints of 925 lbs per heel strike. Right now your thinking Holy Cats! But wait there's more and it's good news.

This week Jonathan posted a weight of 288 lbs, if we do the math, we will see that Jonathan is currently impacting his joints with 720 lbs of force. That's an 82 lb weight loss resulting in 205 lbs less force affecting his joints. Wow, isn’t that amazing? And he's not done yet. Those numbers should give you some motivation. An 82 lb loss is fantastic but think about how much longer (and further) Jonathan's joints will be carrying him in the years ahead. And as I said before the best part is he's not done!

Jeff started off at 230 lbs with 575 lbs of force. At 200 lbs he is now hitting his joints with 500 lbs of force.

These numbers add up (or rather drop) fast. Just think about how much easier runs will become for those of us who are still working on weight loss.

Remember, every pound you add or lose affects your joints by 2-3 lbs of impact force.

So get out there and make good choices today.

11 comments:

Chris said...

Post of the year! Isn't it great how numbers can really put things into perspective? Jonathan is doing an awesome job on a very tough journey, that's a fact Dr. Drake. :-) Of course, Jeff has also done a great job reducing the impact on his joints as well ;-)

Heath said...

Thanks Professor!! I had never looked at it from that perspective.

Anonymous said...

Wow! My own post from Professor Ludvig von Red Yellow Green Red Blue Blue Blue Lavender Blue Dilly Dilly Dilly....silly. :)

I'm amazed everytime I walk and my legs don't hurt. Forget the numbers - I CAN MOVE! :)

MAIN STREET AWAITS!

[rich] said...

Nice work :-)

Good to help the old legs and feet.

I had a trip to London 2 days ago with my normal bag / laptop and sports bag and clothes... how the hell did I carry an extra 4 stone around everyday?

Rae! said...

I read this at work and I hadn't thought if it this way. Then I told everyone at work, and they all said the same thing. So When we add another person we are moving at work...Holy Cats!!

sambycat said...

is that MONGELLOS head in the back?????

Jeff W said...

Congratulations Lisa!!!
You found the hidden Mongello!!!
The pic was taken following Lou's Trivia meet.

Here are some fresh Jelly Belly's for you.

sambycat said...

ha. hidden mongello. thats very good!

Craig Wheeler said...

Are hidden Mongello's typically smaller than hidden Mickey's?

DebWDW said...

Jeff and Jonathan rock!

Craig Wheeler said...

Thanks for posting the spectrum song. I first heard it about 15 years ago, but never seen the video. The black and white tv part is great...it was not in the recording I have.