Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Break Out Your Snappy Serape


Since the invention of the Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato sandwich the world has had its fair share of notable trios. Some famous, and well others, not so much.

Abraham, Martin, John.
Larry, Moe, Curly
Peter, James, John
Peter, Paul, Mary
Sabrina, Kelly, Jill
Starsky, Hutch, Huggy Bear
Kukla, Fran, Ollie
Alvin, Simon, Theodore
Jack, Chrissy, Janet
Snap, Crackle, Pop
Yakko, Wacko, Dot
Maxene, Patty, LaVerne
Barry, Robin, Maurice
Tom, Dick, Harry
Jan, Marsha, Cindy
Greg, Peter, Bobby
Mike, Chip, Ernie
Hoss, Little Joe, Adam
The Lion, The Tinman, The Scarecrow

Oh there are others to be sure, pigs, billy goats, mice and bears, plus three guys in a tub whose names shall remain forever anonymous.

But as for Me, Myself, I, not even Huey, Duey, Louie hold a candle to those three happy chappies with snappy serapes better known as The Three Caballeros, Donald, Jose, and Panchito.

So imagine my surprise when I learned that the 2012 WDW 5K was to be themed around three of my favorite Disney characters. I just could not resist the temptation to add this run, so this morning I officially registered. Not sure what this makes me? Certainly not a Dopey, but more than a Duck for sure. This raises the question. What should we call 16.2 miles in two days? “The Donald Plus Fun Run?” or perhaps "Duck Sauce 2012"

As of this post we are just over 10 weeks away from Marathon weekend. Are you ready? Is everything coming together?

Here is an update on me, post Des Moines Half.

Sent in proof of time to RunDisney. They confirmed my proof of time but could not locate my half registration. Panic set in and I called Active to see what was up. At first they told me I was not registered because my credit card had been declined last June when I signed up. WTF? I insisted that I was registered and Active finally figured out the problem. During my first sign up attempt my registration was declined and then I recalled why. It was because I had forgotten to add the 3 digit code on the back of my credit card to the online form. Once I updated that form last June it had gone through. For some reason Active had a matching confirmation number on both the failed attempt and the successful one.

I informed RunDisney and all has been cleared up and I now have an updated registration confirmation that includes the new proof of time. This morning’s 5K sign up went through without incident.

Last week’s exercise:

Wed 19th: 4 mile walk

Thu 20th: 3 mile jog, 1 mile walk. Paced 10:08 during the jog.

Sun 23rd: 8 mile jog. Paced 10:40 (I have a blood stained shirt to prove it)(Body Glide Please!)

Mon 24th: 4 mile walk

Chris commented on my last post wondering about goals. Here are my goals leading up to and including marathon weekend.

Two weeknights each week walk for 4 miles. If under 60 minutes keep walking to get in a full hour.

Two weeknights each week jog for 60 min. Once casual and once pushing myself.

Weekend. One long run either Saturday or Sunday. Watch forecast on Friday and commit to which day. 8 mile minimum. If weather is bad get to the Y and get in those miles.

My Goal for the January Half is to finish with a PR for the half. This means breaking the 2:22 finish I had in Des Moines back in 2008. Doable? Yes! How do I get there? Commitment.

My plan is to move up the pace of the virtual partner on my Garmin from a 12:00 to the 10:80 I averaged during the 2008 Des Moines half. Then just stay ahead of it. If I can continue to average what I achieved last Sunday I should be good. Outside of working to improve pace and endurance my goal is to keep a close eye on my daily calories and keep losing weight.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Welcome aboard the 5K Train...That's so awesome that you registered. Chris is running with his daughter and I'll be there, not sure off the top of my head who else will be there.

Chris is signed up for the 5K and full and I think we talked about the Pluto.

So, the 5K and half could be - the Cheshire Cat - not all there and a little crazy :)! Hmmm...on second thought - I've been not all there and a little crazy for a long time - yeah, that fits!

I am so proud of you and the progress you've made. You've really come alive this last few months and made huge improvements. I'm really jealous - I just haven't been able to get the speed up at all.

Your goals sound appropriate and very doable. Keep pushing, but be careful to avoid the injury trap and you'll meet all those goals for sure.

P.S. I was thinking about dressing as Jose for the 5K if I can come up with the right colors :)

sambycat said...

woot! i am inspired by your efforts!

:)